Meters are read approximately at the beginning of the 2nd week of the month during the months of March thru November. During these months you are billed for your actual usage. Due to extreme weather in the months of December thru February meters are not normally read and an averaged bill is sent. In March when the meters are read for the first time, you are billed for the overage water used during those months when the meters are not read. Your bill may be higher if you used above minimum amount. Water and Sewer Rates for 2020 can be found here. 

Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. These questions are the most typical questions we get in reference to utility billing. If you have a utility billing question that doesn't appear below you can contact us at 509-397-3861 or contact us.


What should I know about my utility account?


  • Bills are mailed close to the 1st of every month depending where the weekend falls.

  • The bills are due on the 25th of that month, unless that day falls on a weekend or holiday, then the bill will be due on the first working day after the 25th.

  • You will be charged a late fee of $20.00 if your account has more than a $20.00 balance after the 25th.

  • You will be mailed a delinquency notice around the 10th of the month if you have a past due balance.

What do I need to do to start, change ownership, turn on/off my utility service? 


  • Complete service address form.

  • Full name of individual responsible for the account.

  • Mailing address -if different from the service address, where you would like the bill sent.

  • Property owners full name.

  • The effective date when the service is to begin.

  • Address of previous utility service in Colfax if applicable.


For new water/sewer service, please download the form below and return to city hall at 400 N Mill St, or email to depclerk@colfaxwa.org. Please call city hall at 509-397-3861 to confirm that we have received your form


To turn on Water/Sewer Service Form Click Here


Needing to connect to the City water for the first time?

How long does it take to receive service?


Orders to turn on or shut off utilities, if placed before 4:00 p.m., will be completed that day. Public Work’s hours are 6:30a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Friday excluding holidays during daylight saving time. All other months are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. DO NOT TURN ON YOUR OWN WATER! YOU MUST CALL FOR ASSISTANCE.


How do I discontinue utility service?


  • Forwarding mailing address for refund or final bill.

  • Date you want service disconnected.

  • Name of individual who will be responsible for bill.

When you plan to move, stop by City Hall or phone us to schedule removal of service. You may make arrangements as early as several days or weeks prior to your desired disconnect or on the day of your move. If planning to discontinue your utility service, please complete the form below and return to City Hall at 400 N Mill St. or email to depclerk@colfaxwa.org. Please call city hall at 509-397-3861 to confirm that we have received your form. REMEMBER, you are responsible for all usage on your meter. We bill from the 15th to the 15th so anyone moving in or out or taking over an account around the first of the month will get a half bill. 


For Water/Sewer Shut-off Form Click Here


Where do I send the payment?


Mail in payments should include your bill stub or your account number on your check. Mail payments to: City of Colfax, P.O. Box 229, Colfax, WA 99111 We also have a drop box for your convenience by our front door.


You can pay online by clicking here.


What if I can't pay bill before shutoff day?


The key to keeping your utility service connected is communication. The sooner you notify us of your problem, the better chance you have of finding some sort of assistance. Waiting until the day your water is to be turned off for non pay does not give very much time to come up with a solution. You are encouraged to contact our office at 509-397-3861 as soon as possible after receiving your bill to discuss payment arrangements. If your services are terminated, there is a $20 fee to have it turned back on.


Lynda Kramlich

Utility Billing

400 N Mill Street


City of Colfax · 400 N Mill Street · Colfax, Washington 99111 · Phone (509) 397-3861 · Fax (509) 397-3044 Non-Emergency Police: 509-397-4616