We are keeping close watch on the Governor's proclamations concerning building.  Please give the building department a call for the latest update.
Permit Processing 

Many permits do not require a plan review (furnace replacement, irrigation backflow, water service replacement, addition of an electrical circuit, etc.). For those types of projects, complete permit applications that are received in person at the counter will be processed while the customer waits.


Do I need a permit?  Click here for a list of things generally not needing a permit.  When in doubt, call and we'll be happy to help.

Permit applications received through the mail, fax, or through email will be processed by the next business day if they are complete and have the correct payment included. If the information lacking is minor in nature and can be provided over the telephone by the applicant, staff will complete the form and process the application. When mailed, faxed, and online permit applications have been processed, the permit and receipt will be mailed or faxed to the applicant.


Permit fees can be paid by check via mail, in person at City Hall (400 N Mill St.), or can also be paid online by clicking the link below. *Please include the permit number if known or contact City Hall for permit number. 



Another Brochure about permitting.

If sending a check, please address it to "City of Colfax" and mail to:


City of Colfax

PO BOX 229

Colfax, WA 99111

Expiration of Permits


 All permits shall expire by limitation and be declared void if (1) work is not started within one hundred eighty days of obtaining a permit, or (2) work is abandoned for one hundred eighty days or more after beginning work, or (3) after two years from the date of permit issuance, regardless of whether the work is finished; provided, prior to the expiration of a permit for time, a permit may be renewed for one-half the permit fee for the value of the remainder of the work to finish the original permit. If a permit expires for time without renewal, a new permit may be obtained for one-half the permit fee for the value of the remainder of the work to finish the project, provided in such event any changes in code requirements adopted after the issuance of the original permit shall apply.


Fee Refunds


The building official may authorize the refunding of:

a.  One hundred percent of any fee erroneously paid or collected.

b.  Up to eighty percent of the permit fee paid when no work has been done under a permit issued in accordance with this code.

c.  Up to eighty percent of the plan review fee paid when an application for a permit for which a plan review fee has been paid is withdrawn or canceled before any plan reviewing is done.

The building official shall not authorize refunding of any fee paid except on written application filed by the original permittee not later than one hundred eighty days after the date of fee payment.

Performing Work Without a Permit

IBC 114.1  "It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to erect, construct, alter, extend, repair, move, demolish or occupy any building, structure or equipment regulated by this (IBC / IRC) code, or cause same to be done, in conflict with or in violation of any of the provision of this code."

CMC 15.02.030 D (1) 

1.  Investigation Fees--Work without a Permit.

               a.  Investigation.  Whenever any work for which a permit is required by this code has been commenced without first obtaining said permit, a special investigation shall be made before a permit may be issued for such work.

               b.  Fee.  An investigation fee, in addition to the permit fee, shall be collected whether or not a permit is then or subsequently issued.  The investigation fee shall be equal to the amount of the permit fee required by this code.  The minimum investigation fee shall be the same as the minimum fee set forth in the Colfax fee schedule.  This fee is an additional, punitive fee.  Payment of the investigative fee does not vest the illegal work with any legitimacy, nor does it establish any right to a Colfax permit for continued development of that project.  If the work done remains illegal for ninety days after service of the stop work order, it shall be considered hazardous.


Permit Resources & Forms

The following permit applications and forms can be downloaded and emailed  ( or printed for your convenience.

City of Colfax · 400 N Mill Street · Colfax, Washington 99111 · Phone (509) 397-3861 · Fax (509) 397-3044 Non-Emergency Police: 509-397-4616